Wishing for Mommy exists as a grant-based initiative to fund the wishes that children have for their mommies who are diagnosed or recently recovering from breast cancer. We have found that most of the time, a child may feel unable to help out in this difficult time since they are 'just a kid.' With a $500 check, Wishing for Mommy will help turn that around and empower the child to be able to feel like an integral part of their mommy's happiness. Children themselves or with an adult assistant may apply for a Wishing for Mommy grant by downloading an application and mailing it in.
Download & Print the Application Here
Click the button to view a printable grant application (3 Pages)
Application Now Available in Español
Aplicación ahora disponible en español. (3 páginas para imprimir)
About the Application Process
- The mommy must be nominated by her child/step-child.
- The child must be between the ages of 3-18.
- An 'adult assistant' (age 18+) may aid in the nomination process for a child who is unable to write or who may just need general help. This person can be a friend, relative, teacher, etc.
- The mommy nominated must be diagnosed with breast cancer and either currently undergoing treatment or has been in treatment within the last 24 months.
- The mommy's doctor must be willing to sign off on a Medical Eligibility Form verifying diagnosis or treatment.
- Mommy must give the child or their adult assistant permission to enter an application to Wishing for Mommy and be willing to submit pictures and or video of the special event created by their child that will be displayed on www.wishingformommy.org and other social sites.
Steps to Apply for a Grant
- Ask permission to nominate your mommy and for the help of an adult assistant if needed.
- Complete the information on page 2 of the application packet (Nomination Form)
- Write your story on page 3 of the application packet (or any 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper) explaining your wish for your mommy and why you feel the granting of this wish will improve the quality of the family life or environment. Explain how $500 will be used to grant the wish. The explanation can be handwritten or typed on one single-sided 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Put as much detail in the one-page submission so that the selection committee can understand the who, what, where, when and why of the wish. The more detail, the better!
- Fully complete the Medical Eligibility form on page 4. (Submit to the mommy's doctor).
- When steps 2-4 are complete, submit your application via mail to 610 N. Alma School Rd. #32 Chandler, AZ 85224. Be sure to include the following: Your nomination page, your 1-page story, and your medical eligibility form. Additional copies of this grant application packet are available online at www.wishingformommy.org.
- Wait to receive an email on Monday, December 2nd, 2019 regarding the status of your application.
Dates to Watch out for
May 1st, 2019- Applications begin to be accepted for this year's grants.
December 1st, 2019- All applications due. Applications not received by this date will be eligible for the next year.
December 31st, 2019- All 2019 grants to have been awarded.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When do I know if we are getting awarded the money or not?
A: All applicants will be contacted via email on or before December 2nd, 2019 whether they have been selected or not.
Q: Will sending in pictures and drawings increase my chances?
A: While we appreciate the extra effort, pictures and drawings will not be a deciding factor in the selection process.
Q: What if I do not get my Medical Eligibility Form in on time?
A: All applications missing any of the three required documents (nomination page, 1-page story, or Medical Eligibility Form) will not be considered for a grant. If you are able to complete the process at a later date we will consider you for a 2019 grant, instead.
Q: Will all of the grants be awarded by Christmas?
A: This has always been the goal of Wishing for Mommy; however, with such a hectic time of year abound and many conflicting schedules, we have awarded grants as late as December 31st.
Q: Can someone's grandmother be nominated?
A: Grandmothers cannot be nominated according to Wishing for Mommy eligibility guidelines. The child must be between the ages of 3-18 and must be the direct/indirect (step-child) offspring of the mother.
Q: How many grants are being given this year?
A: We will be unable to answer this question until the year draws to a close. Fundraising will still be taking place and/or wrapping up until December 1st. As the funds are received, the Wishing for Mommy team will begin to select and allocate grants to be given and this process will be ongoing until all monies are turned in from our sponsors and donors.
Q: Is this a contest?
A: Wishing for Mommy is not a contest. Nobody wins or loses. It is a grant-based initiative. Our selection committee chooses which grants to give based on a number of different factors. We will always strive to help every single person who sends in an application to the best of our abilities and have had great success in years past in granting most all of the wishes we receive.